Historical Searching

Anyone can access historical land information through the South Australian Integrated Land Information System (SAILIS).

Land Services SA staff are unable to conduct historical searches on your behalf however Video tutorials have been created to assist those wishing to undertake historical searching. You are encouraged to view these videos before starting your search.

You can search the history of a block of land and research family history through the register book. It contains certificates of title and other information about property. Some searches are free, but others may attract a fee.

Historical information available includes:

  • Deeds and records of land that were freehold between 1837 and 1858 (physical records only)
  • name indexes for Real Property Act records from 1858 to 1975 which include names of crown lessees from the mid 1880's
  • Real Property Act records - eg certificates of title and transfers
  • survey plans
  • some crown leases
  • historical maps showing land tenure.

To conduct a search, you will need:

  • the name of the property owner or crown lease
  • historical or pastoral name of the property - eg Mount Eba
  • the time period in which the property may have been bought
  • the property location - eg address, section number, hundred name

Other sources of historical information include:

  • Local councils
  • State Records of South Australia
  • State Library
  • National Archives of Australia
  • Department of Water and Environment
  • South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Society
  • Professional Historians Association of South Australia

Applications made under Part 4 and Part 7A of the Real Property Act 1886 (SA)

There are some applications made with Land Services SA which may require you to conduct historical searching in order to complete your application. These include applications made under Part 4 and Part 7A of the Real Property Act 1886 (SA). These Applications are normally quite technical in nature and would generally require the professional assistance of a legal practitioner or conveyancer.

For general enquiries on these matters, please contact Customer Support.